MIT Claim 1st Place With Win Over Freedom RFC

Teams:MIT vs Freedom RFC
Played:10/04/2014 @ MIT
Score: 34 - 19 MIT win

On Saturday, October 4, 2014, MIT hosted Freedom RFC (formerly Seacoast RFC) at Briggs Field in a battle for first place atop the NERFU D3 standings. Both teams entered the contest undefeated. MIT set the tone early with rumbling runs from forwards Oggy and newcomer Alex. This set up John G for a penalty kick which he slotted through to put MIT up 3-0. Freedom RFC stormed back with a try of their own after some handling errors by MIT. MIT marched back down the field and prop Jarrad channeled his inner fly-half setting up rookie Bobby (not to be confused with Ricky Bobby) for a try in the corner. This put MIT back up 8-7. MIT’s scrum was strong in the first half, leading to a try by Cody, converted by John G. MIT would score once more before the half, with Jarrad channeling his inner prop and barreling over for a try. The first half ended with MIT up 20-7.

Freedom RFC started the scoring in the second half with a try from their hard running outside center. This pulled Freedom within 1 score at 20-14. MIT again responded strongly and began to assert itself with their dominant pack. Second row Galen was a force all day in the lineouts; winning possession and setting the MIT pack up for mauls. Freedom RFC had a difficult time with the mauls, leading to a score from Gus.

With injuries in the backs to Sione, Mike B, and Jake M, Coach Sean was forced to make some Belichickian substitutions. Forwards Brendan and Chris W came on in the backs; Zach and rookie Takayoshi came on in the forwards; Oggy was moved from flanker to a place he used to call home out in the centers and John L was moved out to full back. Despite a few players playing out of position, the team continued to put pressure on the Freedom defense by keeping the ball in the forwards. Freedom was able to score a controversial try in the corner after catching MIT’s defense sucked in. The Freedom winger appeared to knock the ball on as he made his way into the try zone. The referee admitted he missed the call and initially looked to touch judge Dave M. for the call. Dave M confirmed that it was a knock-on. Freedom players were quick to point out the MIT gear on the touch judge and the referee awarded the try. It was all MIT the rest of the way with Toro touching down after another successful maul.

MIT hosts Boston RFC at Briggs for their next match on Saturday, October 11.

Man of the Match: Toro

This match saw the last game from former club president Mike B, who left the game with a mild concussion and leaves for Switzerland in a few weeks. MIT RFC would like to thank Mike for his 5 years of hard work and dedication within the club. Mike spent most of his MIT career either playing fullback or yelling “Do Him!” from the sidelines. Mike was a great player and teammate and his open field tackling and strong runs will be missed. Best of luck in the future Mike!