MIT advance past North Shore

Teams:MIT vs North Shore RFC
Played:04/18/15 @ MIT
Score: 30 - 16 MIT win

On Saturday, April 18, 2015, MIT faced off against North Shore RFC in the NERFU semi-final playoffs at Briggs field. MIT finally got some beautiful spring weather but still could not get off to the start they wanted. MIT turned the ball over early and were put under pressure as they had to defend in their own 22. MIT defended well and worked their way out of their half with the help of the leg of their star kicker John G. MIT and North Shore continued to feel each other out and the game remained scoreless for the first 20 minutes of the half. MIT struggled in the lineout as North Shore were able to crack the master code of their lineout calls and match jumpers.

MIT finally got on the board when they moved the ball to the backs off a set piece. The backs went through the hands and James L fed Hacksaw; who sidestepped his defender and raced to score in the newly renovated corner of Briggs field to put MIT up 5-0. MIT scored again a few minutes later when KatieNMarc threw a no look one handed pass off the back of a ruck to Toro, who broke a tackle and then played a quick game of keep away with John L. Toro was tackled but Mick was there in support. He quick tapped off a penalty and fired a long pass to James L. who ran in for the try. MIT could not put North Shore away though, and 5 minutes later a MIT penalty led to 3 points for the visiting team. More strategic kicking led MIT back into North Shore territory and MIT was awarded a penalty from inside the 5 meter line. Mick took another quick tap and then fought his way through the defense for the try. MIT again allowed North Shore back into the game as another penalty afforded North Shore 3 points, making the score 15-6 as the half expired.

North Shore came out aggressive in the second half which led to some chippy play from both sides. MIT had the ball at the opposition’s 10 meter line and a score seemed imminent. John G. attempted to take a quick tap but the referee blew his whistle. A North Shore player either ignored or did not hear the whistle and still put a hit on John G. Brendan said, “I must protect the slug” and ran in to help out John G. He was promptly issued a yellow card and both teams were warned to not let the game get out of hand. Despite playing a man down, MIT continued to advance the ball and from the 5 meter line Mick fired a laser pass to Zack who scored in the corner to make the score 20-6. Shortly after, a North Shore player also received a yellow card and both teams were even at 14 players a side. MIT was unable to take advantage and North Shore executed a sharp back line move off a scrum and their winger scored under the posts to make it 20-13. North Shore followed that up 15 minutes later with a penalty kick pushing the score to 20-16. MIT finally put North Shore away for good when John L. broke through the line and found John G running in support right off his hip. John G took the ball and passed to Hacksaw who put MIT up 25-16. Hacksaw touched down again 5 minutes later for his third try of the game.

MIT will face Freedom RFC next Saturday in Amesbury, MA in round 2 of the NERFU playoffs.

Man of the match: Ha(t-trick)cksaw