Mustachioed MIT get waxed in OT of NERFU Cup final

Teams:MIT vs Boston Irish Wolfhounds
Played:05/03/2015 @ Newport, RI
Score: 18 - 23 MIT loss

On May 2, 2015, MIT traveled to Fort Adams in Newport, RI to defend their title in the NERFU cup. The team continued their annual tradition of growing moustaches for the weekend tournament. Not all moustaches were created equal but all were appreciated. What was not appreciated was having to play their first tournament game at 8:45 AM on a Saturday. MIT first faced off against North Shore, a team they were familiar with having played them just weeks earlier. MIT defeated North Shore 12-5. Not a single noteworthy play occurred in the game (or possibly the author was not present for this game). Tries were scored by Jake S. and Brendan.

MIT’s next match was against the Maccabi’s. MIT started off the scoring during some loose play. MIT found they had numbers out wide. John G. took the ball off the breakdown from KatieNMarc and dummied one defender and ran the rest of the way in for the try. The Maccabis followed this up with a try of their own to take the lead 7-5. MIT regained the lead early in the second half when John G. kicked a penalty to put MIT up 8-7. MIT added to their lead when Mick lofted a beautiful pass in a gap to John L. who took the ball at pace and scored to make it 13-7. The Maccabis threatened, but made too many mistakes down the stretch and MIT’s defense held up.

On Sunday, May 3, 2015, MIT met the Boston Irish Wolfhounds in the NERFU Cup final. The two teams had a very close match in the fall, and this one would be even closer. Once again, John G. started off the scoring for MIT, as he kicked another penalty. The Wolfhounds matched this a few minutes later with a penalty kick of their own. The MIT forwards then put on a clinic for lineout / maul combinations. Mick took the ball down from the lineout outside the Wolfhounds’ 22 and began yelling Mick-ish things to lead the charge. The MIT pack were unstoppable driving the maul forward and Toro, sporting a Game of Thrones-esque moustache, scored the try. The Wolfhounds were able to take advantage of some disorganization in the MIT defense and their center scored to bring the Wolfhounds back up 10-8. Another John G. penalty kick put MIT back up 11-10 at the half. In a rare moment, Coach Sean actually praised the team at half time and urged them to continue their efforts in the second half.

Unfortunately the praise went to their heads. The second half saw a number of penalties and mistakes from the MIT side. At one point spectators at Fort Adams were treated to what they originally thought were fireworks on the ocean but what actually turned out to be Coach Sean’s head exploding after witnessing the multiple breakdown infringements and errant kicks committed by MIT. 11 minutes into the second half the Wolfhounds capitalized on one of these penalties and kicked for points to make it 13-11. 10 minutes later the Wolfhounds winger made a long break. MIT scrambled to get back in defense, but the Wolfhounds worked faster to set their attack and their fullback touched down for the try to make it 18-11. At the 28 minute mark the Wolfhounds scrumhalf was issued a yellow card. MIT knew this was the time to even the score. The forwards worked the ball up the field and at the 35 minute mark Jarrad extended his arm over for the score. Unfortunately he scored in the far corner, setting up a difficult conversion. With the wind blowing off the water, and the game on the line, star kicker John G. slotted it through to even the score. MIT’s defense held with bone-crushing tackles from Jake S. and excellent kick coverage and open field tackling from James L. The Wolfhounds had one last chance at victory with a makeable penalty kick, but their kicker pushed it wide right. Full time ended with an even score of 18-18 and with Mick's face looking like he just stepped out of the ring from the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.

The sudden death overtime saw more mistakes and penalties from MIT. MIT had their chances in OT but could not break through the organized Wolfhounds defense. The Wolfhounds worked their way down the field by keeping the ball in the forwards. One of the forwards eventually broke the try line to secure victory for the Wolfhounds.

MIT is off next week and then travels to Albany, NY on May 16, 2015 to face the Danbury Mad Hatters for the Empire Crossover playoffs (round of 16).