MIT and HBS play "friendly"

Teams:MIT vs Harvard Business School
Played:10/24/2015 @ MIT
Score: 15 - 27 MIT loss

On October 24, 2015, MIT hosted old rival Harvard Business School at Briggs Field. With their regular league match vs. the Framingham Exiles cancelled, MIT was set to play a different set of exiles in HBS, who were exiled from DIII a few years ago. Although the non-league match was technically a friendly, the competition was anything but amicable.

HBS came out fast and seemed right away like the team who wanted it more. They stretched the MIT defense early and less than ten minutes into the game their outside center made a break down the right sideline. Hacksaw did well to chase the HBS center down and tackle him but he offloaded to a support runner for the early try. MIT continued to play lazy and uninspiring rugby. HBS ran in a second try shortly after. Some chippy play by both sides led to a yellow card for Caleb. Despite being a singer, Caleb took his punishment and headed under the posts without voicing any complaint. His HBS accuser was much more vocal, and after being given a yellow card of his own, both sides were left with 14 players. The first period ended and MIT were frustrated with their poor play and with the score at 14-0 in HBS’s favor.

The second half scoring started with a penalty kick from HBS to make it 17-0. MIT finally got things going when Marc spotted an overload on the left side of the field. He passed to Cody, who drew in his man and passed to John L. who took the ball into tackle and passed to Aaron, who broke down the left sideline yelling, “Seeya NERRRRRDDDDS.” HBS responded with a try to make it 24-5. After a HBS penalty, scrumhalf Marc quick tapped and passed wide to Jake, who then passed to winger Hacksaw. Hacksaw did the rest of the work to make it 24-10. Aaron scored again to bring the score to 24-15, but HBS kicked another penalty and at the end of 2 periods it was 27-15.

The teams agreed before the game to play 3 30 minute periods in order to allow playing time for everyone. In the third period HBS subbed on several players who were new to the game. MIT took advantage and their structure proved too much for the younger side as they ran in 4 tries in the final period. Hacksaw had 2 of the tries to give him yet another hat-trick. Aaron, playing in his last match with the club before leaving for Australia, added 1 more try for a farewell hat-trick of his own. Born-again flanker Chris L. also had a try, leaving the final score at 37-27 after 3 periods. Oggy was a pest at the breakdown as usual, and one of his steals at the breakdown led to an MIT try. The forwards were better at the breakdown giving clean ball to Chandler to feed out to the backs. Despite the score, MIT chalked the game up as a loss after being down at the end of the second period.

Man of the match John L.

MIT travels to the Irish Cultural Center in Canton, MA next Saturday, October 31, 2015 to take on the Boston Irish Wolfhounds. Fans and players are encouraged to stop by Coach Sean's bakery, Bent's Cookie Factory, in Milton, MA before the game for some treats.