MIT beat Charles River (Division II)

Teams:MIT vs Charles River
Played:04/03/2011 @ MIT
Score: 19 - 13 MIT win

After five weeks of pre-season practices on cold dark evenings, with no regard to snow, sleet, rain or blowing wind, MITRFC looked forward to the first game of the spring season. The grass pitch was too wet to play on so the match was moved to the turf pitch. While the day was sunny, a stiff wind made playing conditions challenging. The match started with the usual early season jitters as players on both teams adjusted to playing against an opposition rather than practice drills. The MIT backline found their rhythm first with nice quick passing, opening a gap in the Charles River defensive line, allowing the first try of the season to be scored in the corner.

The wind proved challenging for both teams, preventing long back line passes and clearing kicks. As Charles River settled into their work behind a solid scrum, they retained possession for multiple phases and were eventually rewarded with an unconverted try. Buoyed by the try, Charles River increased the pressure and from a scrum 10 meters from the MIT goal line they scored their second try of the match. The strong wind resulted in a failed conversion attempt. Shortly before halftime, MIT were penalized in a ruck and Charles River capitalized with a penalty goal. The score at half time was Charles River 13, MIT 5.

MIT started the second half in the same fashion as the first, with the backs making a line break and diving in for the second try of the match which was successfully converted. MIT found their rhythm and picked up their intensity to battle hard with Charles River throughout the second half. Neither team was giving ground in a tight and exciting battle. With 10 minutes to go, the hard work and intensity from MIT was rewarded with a penalty. A quick tap was taken and with strong support MIT’s third try was scored and successfully converted. MIT continued to pressure Charles River in the final 10 minutes of the game, but the defense held strong. At the final whistle, MIT celebrated a hard fought 19 – 13 victory over a very competitive Charles River team. All those cold nights at practice had paid off handsomely and the season is off to a positive start.