MIT miss out on Finals spot in dramatic over-time

Teams:MIT vs New London County
Played:11/09/2013 @ Waterford, CT
Score: 26 - 29 MIT loss

MIT faced New London County last Saturday in the NERFU D3 League Semi-Final. MIT traveled with a strong squad and a desire to finally defeat a New London side who have been one-score victors in this fixture for the last two years. It wasn't to be however as New London's reserve fly half slotted a tough penalty with no time left in overtime to prevail in a back and forth and tightly contested playoff match.

MIT went on the board first with a converted try at 12' from hard hitting centre Jake S. New London answered back with two tries in 6 minutes from their #14 and #15 to take a 14-7 lead into half time. MIT rallied after the break with second rows Galen and Brendan punching holes either side of the ruck. This contracted the NLC defense and when the ball was spun wide John G pulled off an imperious and downright ridiculous dummy and step and ran, untouched, to the line to bring it to 14-12, where it stayed till late in the game.

The game remained on a knife edge for most of the second half. Some fresh legs from the bench upped the ante again in the final quarter and on 70' MIT took a five point lead with a converted try from MVP on the day Frank. New London piled on the pressure in the dying minutes to stay alive and managed to get the leveling score in injury time with a try in the corner but the long kick was missed. This meant a draw at full time and both sides faced into a ten minute extra-time period.

The intensity of the game raised even further in OT with both side s playing hard, open rugby in a furious back and forth affair. New London took a 7-point lead with 3 minutes left on a try from their #9. MIT were not to be undone and stormed back and after knocking on the door repeatedly banged in a try in OT injury time from their "giant" reserve, Jarrad. Unfortunately an incident after the score led to Jarrad's dismissal. John G slotted a very difficult kick to tie it up.

New London took the resulting penalty at midfield and entered MIT territory. The MIT defense held strong and the prospect of another, sudden death, OT loomed. However the ref adjudicated that MIT had offended at ruck time and with no time left on the clock NLC kicked a winning penalty

The match was very hard fought with lots of tactical kicking, fierce running and tackling in the forwards, and excitement out wide from both sides. Rugby at its best.

MIT are disappointed not to reach the finals and potential nationals that would follow. The team would like to thank their coach Sean for his tireless and inspirational work this season. Much thanks also to our families, friends and fans for all your sacrifice and support this year.